Across digital, marketing and creative industries there are forces at play which mean now is the best time to be working in London’s marketing agencies.That might be a surprise when innovation and entrepreneurship but is this what has caused the upcoming Creative Social to be titled “You Luck Ba****ds. Why now is the best time to be getting started”?
I asked our team leaders at Source to give their views on this subject.
Sarah Dean – heads up the Creative, Design and Production team, across Print, Digital and Integrated agencies
- Agencies have a far more creative vibe- they are constantly looking for candidates who have unique concepts and ideas who can add value to their creative team not just with their design skills but with their personality too.
- Agencies are investing in creative talent and offering career progression
- There are far more opportunities for Junior Creatives to get their first break in the design world with more agencies being open minded to offering internships and junior roles.
- The possibility to work across integrated campaigns and on global brands
- There are also greater opportunities to move to European agencies, as some of the best agencies came out of the Netherlands: W&K, Strawberry Frog
- With the constant development of new technology within the creative world, far more exciting conceptual work is being created and more opportunities to produce truly creative 360 degree campaigns
- Although digital is a bigger part of all campaigns nowadays the boundaries to skills has broken down. Younger teams are no longer put into silo’s – ATL/BTL and Digital
- The growth of digital and social media (from augmented reality to digital design) creating more opportunities to engage people with creative work
- Because everyone (agencies) are looking for something a little bit different and a break from the norm
- Brands need to think outside the box to get themselves out there and as such are looking for creatives who reflect this – so you don’t have to come from a traditional background to get a break you just need good ideas
Leanne Duke – heads up the team specialising in Project Management and Creative Services – both integrated and traditional.
- Seeing the success of campaigns merge across all media channels and with a driving force behind digital and social media and it being at the forefront
- Clients allowing agencies to push their brands more and more
- New talent in the market with an integrated background
Hannah Wells – heads up the Digital Client Services Team, placing digital focused Account Handlers into agencies.
- Boundaries are being pushed from a creativity perspective – there no literally no limits to where a campaign can go. Seeing ATL supporting the BTL activity, which is quite unusual – campaigns being taken in new directions.
- Always an exciting time as we’re at the forefront of demonstrating how new tech advances can strengthen marketing.
- Lots of scope and opportunity within digital – constant evolving space – talent is in demand there are lots of opportunities.
- The explosion of social media has opened a whole new world of how brands engage with their audience – this has driven new technology.
- Pay is increasing in digital as talent is in demand – driving up salary’s
Wendy Burrows – heads up Digital Project Management Team at Source placing candidates within a great roster of agencies within the digital space
- Advancement of technology
- More opportunities via recruiters
- Skill sets more specialised and niche
- Sky really is the limit – can do just about anything with the right budget and team behind it
- No longer patriarchal – women can succeed
- London is an extremely competitive city, especially in the creative/agency sector, which makes it the best place to be if you want to work for the best and be the best – with the prize for winning some top clients out there, there are some superb agencies to work for who are really pushing the boundaries, especially in digital, and adjusting to the way clients want to work.
- Always something new to learn – great mix of cultures/attracts top talent too.
Are you enjoying the opportunties that working styles, technology, social media and the economic climate are offering? Perhaps you have some of your own reasons ‘Why now is the best time to be working in London’s agencies? I’d love to hear your views below in the comments.