Do you enjoy the challenge of creating visually stunning and user-friendly web pages and interfaces, or finding elegant technical solutions to those throw up by the creative department? Do you inhabit the world where design, interaction, programming, and behavioural and performance analysis combine? If the answer is “yes” then you could be a Front End Developer!
If you are looking for a Front End Developer job in London, please contact our technical recruitment team.
The role of a Front End Developer can be varied and the list of skills needed for the job is extensive. As a Front End Developer we believe you need to be passionate about new technology and excel in a multitude of different disciplines, with an excellent working knowledge of others. Below we outline the job description for a Front End Developer role, but this ever evolving role requires someone who is constantly updating their skills and expertise: could this be you?
If you are trying to recruit a Front End Developer in London, contact our technical recruitment team here.
What is the role of a Front End Developer?
As a Front End Developer, your main responsibility is for the production, modification and maintenance of websites and web application’s user interfaces. This involves working closely with designers, in using semantic mark-up language i.e. XTMTL/CSS, to turn their static Photoshop designs into working browser based web pages. You’ll also work closely with server-side developers to implement their server-side code in order to develop complex, interactive and database driven websites. Generally you’ll be working with an off-the-shelf or bespoke CMS, so you’ll work closely with the designers to integrate designs seamlessly into the chosen technology.
Download A PDF Version of this job description here.
As a Front End Developer you’ll also be responsible for:
- Providing accurate timing estimates on work.
- Contributing to documentation (instructional, pitch and technical specification)
- Train other non-technical staff particularly designers.
- Contributing to the company development standards working closely with the Head of Development or Technical Director.
- Discussing technical solutions with clients and providing innovative new ideas to solutions.
- Maintaining a high awareness of industry issues and trends, particularly in regard to accessibility, usability, and emerging technologies, and keep team members informed as appropriate, with a view to incorporating these in future projects and staying ahead of the market and position yourself and the company as a digital specialist.
- Constantly seeking to develop yourself by learning new technologies and keeping abreast of your markets developments.
- Excellent HTML5, LESS and SASS experience
- Coding valid XHTML and CSS mark-up
- Developing cross-browser and cross-platform compatible solutions
- Experience with JQuery
- Experience integrating with server-side code to produce dynamic pages
- Excitement about emerging web technologies.
- Good understanding of Web Accessibility
- Experience working with version control systems such as SVN
- Experience building sites to at least an AA standard?
- Some experience in AJAX techniques
- Knowledge of HTML Email best practice desirable
Skills and experience necessary for this role:
Required work experience:
See our latest Front End Developer Jobs in London
Junior £22 – £25k
Mid £25 – £35k
Senior £35k +
Head of Front End Development / Team Lead £45k+
Types of company/agency common for this role:
Most Front End Developers work in online focused businesses such as an eCommerce provider or social network site, or within a creative / digital agency. Essentially any business with a big web presence or that develops web solutions will employ good Front End Developers. Lots in mobile too now!
Jobs that could lead to this role:
- Junior Web Assistance
- Online Content Producer
- Graduate Developer Internship
- Senior/Technical Lead
- Technical Project Manager
- Development Manager
- User Interface Engineer
Jobs that lead from this role:
Training / reading that will help you get this role:
A formal computing / digital production degree would certainly be helpful, but there are also lots of forums and free tutorials online. Have a look at the World Wide Web Consortium for further reading, event and talks. To find out more about the role we interviewed Front End Developer Richard Mather and asked him what is involved. Read his interview here.
Contact our technical recruitment team if you are interested in finding a Front End Developer job in London or if you want to hire one for your team.
At Source LF we meet hundreds of people in the creative industry every year. The Job Description series is here to help you understand exactly what it is they do. If you work in a creative team and want to share your experience then we’d love to interview you – just let us know in the comments below.